[mrtg] monitoring individual ip addresses in mrtg

Ross Tsolakidis rtsolakidis at powerserve.com.au
Tue Jun 25 07:46:34 MEST 2002

Hi all,

I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me.
I have another question ;)

We have some clients who have boxes in our network, I'm monitoring the
individual interfaces on their boxes and using the MRTG Total Traffic
Generator app I get the totals of their usage.

But one particular client has multiple boxes in our DMZ which means when
they do transfers between their boxes it also shows up in the total traffic
and also shows in the MRTG graph for both machines.  To get an accurate
total I would need to get figures from the routers, the information form the
routers would then be an accurate total of their usage.
I'm currently monitoring our external interfaces on all routers, is there a
way to get MRTG to monitor the external interface on the router breaking
down the traffic to each individual IP address ?

I hope I haven't confused you guys ;)

Basically I need MRTG to graph the traffic on the external interface of the
router per IP address ...   Does that make sense ?

Cheers,

Ross.