[mrtg] AW: AW: AW: mrtg help

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at EINSTEINet.de
Tue Jun 25 13:54:20 MEST 2002

Hi,

since this is a mrtg-config and no perl script, you don't need the first
three lines.

If you use a OID "in words" instead of its numeric expression, you have to
load the according mib.
As I see, you commented out LoadMibs: ascend.mib, which is needed.

You could use getif and its builtin mibbrowser to find the numeric
expression.
Then you would'nt need to load the mib.

mrtg is only able to measure integer values.
Did you check if your OID shows an integer as result?
OIDs can show tables (arrays) strings and so on. But mrtg can only use
integers.
You can check this also with mibbrowser in getif.
If you mark the oid in the mibtree, getif shows the type of the returnvalue.

If this is not integer, it cannot be measured with mrtg directly.
This is, why that livingston guy needed his scripts.
He got a string: "line:username" and had to count how many strings he got
from the table ...livingstonSerialusers.
If you get a table of integers, this too will not be measurable with mrtg.

Regarding your OID:
didn't find it exactly in my ascend.mibs.
I found:
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ascend.callStatusGroup.callActiveT
able.callActiveEntry.callActiveStartingTimeStamp
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.4

If you read from an OID you mostly have to provide an index.
This mostly is .0 at the end of a target in mrtg for a single integer value.
(like modems available or modems used).
Here you have a table of integer values. The index is used to fetch a single
row of that table.
But the index doesn't have to be a contiguos row of numbers like
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,...
If you walk that OID you'll see an entry for each active connection.
I see for instance:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.4.290381324 and at the moment 8 more.
Here .290381324 at the end is the index. But I only have 9 active
connections...

To measure this with mrtg, you would have to provide the right index.
Since this looks like AscendMAX SNMP-Agent generates these indizes, I guess
you have no chance of knowing them before.
You would have to provide .1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.4.290381324 in your
target.
But since I guess the index is changing, everytime a connection goes down
and comes up again,
this will not be usefull...

Sorry, but I hope this helps anyway...

bye,