[mrtg] Re: USR Totalswitch & MRTG

Steve Godfrey britsg at bristol-city.gov.uk
Tue Mar 12 10:06:36 MET 2002

Look in the contrib directory under MRTG....

>>> Jonathan Nichols <jnichols at pbp.net> 03/10/02 11:03pm >>>

Greetings!
	I inherited one of these funky USR Totalswitch units recently. It
has 4 blades, 2x8 10bT interfaces and 2x2 100bT interfaces. I tried the
same method of MRTG setup (cfgmaker) that worked perfectly on my Foundry
switch, but it doesn't seem to work on the USR switch. It makes all of the
graphs/index pages, but no traffic ever seems to flow through, except on
the Console port.

I searched the Google archives and didn't find much that worked. Maybe
there's something that I'm missing in cfgmaker.

I tried working a bit with snmpwalk and I thought that it created a mib
file, but it didn't quite work.

In my cfg file for the totalswitch, I have the following...

RunAsDaemon:Yes
### Global Config Options

#  for UNIX
WorkDir: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mrtg/external

#  or for NT
# WorkDir: c:\mrtgdata
### Global Defaults

LoadMIBs: /usr/local/apache/conf/totalswitch.mib

The .mib file contains lots of information (the information I needed to
enter into the switch) but it still doesn't show any traffic flowing
through.

Has anybody ever encountered one of these switches? USR/3Com support has
been pretty much useless in helping me obtain more information on this
product. :-(

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-jonathan