[mrtg] Behavioural Change with unknown data between 2.8.x & 2.9.x??

robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz
Wed Mar 13 04:18:41 MET 2002

Hi,

Ive got MRTG, running RedHat 6.2 on an Alpha server. While we do use it for
router monitoring, we mainly use it for monitoring NT and Unix hosts via
SNMP counters.

For a long time I was using an old version of mrtg compiled from source
(2.8.something), which was working well for me. I recently downloaded and
compiled the current rev (2.9.18pre1) to help me solve some performance
problems (forks / runasdaemon) - which it has most certainly done.

However, what I am now seeing are 'drops' in my graphs, often similar drops
over a number of different targets on the same host. This leads me to
believe that MRTG is logging / calculating data incorrectly when it doesnt
receive a response from the host - which it didnt do in the old version - it
just logged a flat graph line. It really shows up under diskspace
monitoring, which have very short (ie5 mins) dips down to almost zero. I
have included an example of the config file and the log file with several
'dips' in it. If you look at the figures, it appears that its averaging the
two numbers (maybe a -1 as below), instead of ignoring the unknown data to
produce the result.

I noticed something similar on an earlier 2.9.x version that I run on
another server, which was retrieving performance data via scripts. If the
script was unable to finish processing, MRTG would log a '-1' into the log
file and cause a similar dip in the graphs.

Hope that someone can help me.

Cheers
Rob.
Rob Harrowfield
Senior Technical Support Engineer (Help Centre)
Phone:   +64-9-623-5580    0800-654-193
mailto:Robert.Harrowfield at axon.co.nz

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# HOST : Free Megabytes / filesystem
#
Target[host.diskroot.avail]:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1.7.1&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1.7.1:community at host

AbsMax[host.diskroot.avail]: 151427
MaxBytes1[host.diskroot.avail]: 151427
MaxBytes2[host.diskroot.avail]: 151427
Options[host.diskroot.avail]: gauge, nopercent
Unscaled[host.diskroot.avail]: my

kMG[host.diskroot.avail]: ,M,G,T,P
Kilo[host.diskroot.avail]: 1024
YTics[host.diskroot.avail]: 4
YTicsFactor[host.diskroot.avail]: 1

YLegend[host.diskroot.avail]: Bytes
ShortLegend[host.diiskroot.avail]: Bytes
Legend1[host.diskroot.avail]: Space available on root (/)
Legend2[host.diskroot.avail]: Space available on root (/)
LegendI[host.diskroot.avail]:
LegendO[host.diskroot.avail]:  Available:

#ThreshMinI[host.diskroot.avail]: 10000
#ThreshProgI[host.diskroot.avail]: /usr/local/bin/tecalert.cust.pl

Title[host.diskroot.avail]: HOST: Space Available on root (/) filesystem
PageTop[host.diskroot.avail]: <h1>HOST: Space Available on root (/)
filesystem</h1>
  Total DiskSpace:  148 MB (151427 kb)

portion of host.diskroot.avail.log

1015888500 13727 13727 13728 13728
1015888200 13726 13726 13727 13727
1015887900 13724 13724 13725 13725
1015887600 13725 13725 13729 13729
1015887300 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015887000 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015886700 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015886400 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015886100 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015885800 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015885500 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015885200 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015884900 13728 13728 13729 13729

1015884600 7230 7230 13728 13728
1015884300 2334 2334 13725 13725

1015884000 13726 13726 13729 13729
1015883700 13729 13729 13729 13729

1015883400 7322 7322 13729 13729
1015883100 2289 2289 13729 13729

1015882800 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015882500 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015882200 13729 13729 13729 13729
1015881900 7368 7368 13729 13729
1015881600 2334 2334 13729 13729
1015881300 13728 13728 13729 13729
1015881000 7413 7413 13728 13728
1015880700 2242 2242 13725 13725
1015880400 13725 13725 13729 13729

--
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and may be exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.

If you read this message and are not the addressee you are notified that use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message. You should scan this message and any attached files for viruses.

Axon Computertime accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.