[mrtg] Re: Behavioural Change with unknown data between 2.8.x & 2.9.x??

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Mar 13 13:34:27 MET 2002

> However, what I am now seeing are 'drops' in my graphs, often similar drops
> over a number of different targets on the same host. This leads me to
> believe that MRTG is logging / calculating data incorrectly when it doesnt
> receive a response from the host - which it didnt do in the old version - it
> just logged a flat graph line. It really shows up under diskspace
> monitoring, which have very short (ie5 mins) dips down to almost zero.

That problem was identified a few weeks ago and was corrected in the "pre2"
release. The issue was, if an mrtg snmp poll did not receive a response for
whatever reason, mrtg wrote a record to the top of the log file that
reflected zeros. The next successful snmp poll then calculated the
difference between zero and whatever was returned, and plotted that value.
That calculated value was totally inaccurate. The change to rateup.c
essentially ignored missed snmp polls.