[mrtg] Re: bandwidth utilisation

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Thu Mar 21 12:48:48 MET 2002

Andy,

You could be running into a counter wrap problem, indeed I have a similar
issue on a highly utilised Gig interface.  In some previous discussions on
this mailing list I believe we arrived at the conclusion that unless your
device support SNMPv2 64-bit counters, the counter values will wrap to zero
after approx. 4.2Gb of data transfer (ie. 2^32).  This very roughly equates
to a 14.3Mb/sec over a 5 minute period (2^32 / 300 secs).

Therefore during the 5 minute polling interval, the counter wraps and give
distorted results because MRTG compares the current value with the previous
polled value.

I am led to believe that RRDtool works better with 32-bit counters but as
yet have been unable to implement this approach.

Alternatively, if your device supports SNMPv2 use the ifHC* mib values to
use 64-bit counters that will not wrap so often.

HTH
This message contains information intended only for named recipients.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it from your
system and notify the sender immediately by e-mail.
Information transmission via email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender does not accept liability for errors or omissions in
the contents of this message arising as a result of e-mail transmission
problems.