[mrtg] Re: snmpget Problem

robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz
Mon Mar 25 01:23:30 MET 2002

SNMP on Win2k is usually pretty reliable, though rather brain-dead at times.
For example, the Processor Util stats change OID on each server reboot in MS
HOST2 (not sure if this is only on mp servers which is where I have seen it
though).

Anyway, something else to have a look at is deleting and recreating the
community and checking to make sure no 'only accept these ip addresses' is
turned off while testing.
Try, on the Win2k box,

SNMPUTIL walk <ip> <community> system

you can call 'system' rather than having to type in the oid. This will make
sure that its nothing to do with the SNMP client that is doing the query on
the linux box. Then try the same, but for the host resources OID. Remember
to do walks, not gets... gets refer to a specific OID and if the OID doesnt
exist point at a counter, then you will get the errors you mention.

cheers
rob.

--
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and may be exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.

If you read this message and are not the addressee you are notified that use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message. You should scan this message and any attached files for viruses.

Axon Computertime accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.