[mrtg] Re: How to get running-config of cisco routers through SNMP request?--Help Please

Garry Cook Garry.Cook at mactec.com
Wed Mar 27 16:37:44 MET 2002

I use snmpset to tftp my router configs a couple times a day. The command is as follows:

snmpset -t <TIMEOUT> <ROUTER.IP.ADDRESS.X> <COMMUNITYRW> .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.<IP.ADDRESS.OF.TFTPSERVER> s <ROUTERNAME>.cfg

I also use it to write my running configs to NVRAM at the same time:

snmpset -t <TIMEOUT> <ROUTER.IP.ADDRESS.X> <COMMUNITYRW> .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.54.0 i 1

Each day my configs are archived and I save the last 30 days worth.
The NVRAM write has saved me a couple of times when myself and others have made router changes and forgot to write the configs.
We only had to have one major failure due to a reboot that returned it to an old config before I decided to implement this feature.

There are a couple of MIB browsers out there that may help you out in the future. Solarwinds makes a decent one, although it may be pricey. I think that there are some freeware MIB browsers, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 - 303.881.5157