[mrtg] Rateup problems in daemon mode

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Mar 27 22:57:57 MET 2002

I recently converted to running MRTG in daemon mode.  The RedHat RPMs I was
using would crash after a while, so I updated to the 2.9.17 (release 1.rh7)
package provided on the MRTG site (packaged by Gomez Henri).

All was well until I tried adding some new systems.  The html pages were
being created for the new systems, but no log, old, or png files ever
appeared.  The following error was in the mrtg file for each new system:

2002-03-27 15:17:11 -- WARNING: rateup died from Signal 13
 with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'pacman.core.newtek.com_2'
 Signal was 13, Returncode was 0

Crawling through the mailing list, this appears to be a problem with the
daemonized mrtg properly creating the log and old files.  I was unsuccessful
at generating "blank" or "zerod" log|old files by hand that would make mrtg
happy, but I was finally able to get mrtg working with the following
procedure:

* Add new routers to mrtg.cfg

* Comment "RunAsDaemon: Yes" in mrtg.cfg

* Run mrtg from the command line twice, to generate initial log and old
files

* Restore "RunAsDaemon: Yes" in mrtg.cfg

* Re-start mrtg as daemon

My question is why is the above procedure required?  I am running mrtg as a
non-root user (user mrtg), but I have verified the mrtg user has write
access to the WorkDir, and tested file-creation there as the mrtg user.  Do
I perhaps have some configuration issue that prevents the daemonized mrtg
from being able to create the log and old files if they don't exist, or is
this a bug?

If the problems on my end and not with mrtg, any suggestions on where to
look to fix it?  Any reason things work properly when mrtg is run in
non-daemon mode, but break when run as a daemon?

Other system details:
RedHat 7.2 with all RH software patches/updates applied via up2date (as-of
March 27), except for mrtg itself, which is version 2.9.17-1.rh7 directly
from the mrtg website.

TIA,

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net