[mrtg] Re: snmpget Problem

Shanmukappa, Jagadish jagadish.shanmukappa at intel.com
Thu Mar 28 00:32:02 MET 2002

rob,

still nope ..not working..

Regards,
Jagadish.TS

-----Original Message-----
From: robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz
[mailto:robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 3:24 PM
To: jagadish.shanmukappa at intel.com; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [mrtg] Re: snmpget Problem

First thing you need to do is to confirm if snmp is working in general. I
find the easiest way is by walking the 'system' oids (.1.3.6.1.2.1.1). I
usually try referencing the OID by name (to prove that the MIBs are being
referenced) and if that fails, by OID. If this doesnt work, then you have a
basic 'snmp just isnt working' problem. I think you mentioned that this is
working, but I cant remember.

>>Yes, I am able to walk throught the system oids<<<<<<

The only time I have ever seen this happen is when there is 3rd-party
software which uses SNMP, such as Compaq's Insight Agents etc. Would suggest
stopping the SNMP service, and then only restarting SNMP. Leave all the
other services that stopped at the same time alone and test with just SNMP
running.

>>I do not have any other agents that use SNMP<<<<<<<

Next, what snmp utility are you using to do the queries?? I would suggest
SNMPUTIL from the resource kit, as I know that can read the Win2k MIBs. Is
this server running the same service pack as the ones that work?? Has this
one had a new network card installed etc?? Have you reapplied the SP??

>>>nope..nothing installed recently..have applied SP2..

Compare the modifydate/version/bytesize of the system32/hostmib.dll and
system32/hostmib.mib as these two are the files that seem to specifically
handle th .25 oid. If you are going to recopy from another server, then stop
the snmp service, rename the DLL's/MIB's and then copy the new ones across.

the SNMP service,  I renamed the hostmib.dll file and tried to copy from
another system, but by that time the system had autocreated another
hostmib.dll file..

cheers
rob