[mrtg] Templates?

Garry Cook Garry.Cook at mactec.com
Fri Mar 29 21:12:26 MET 2002

I'm looking at upgrading from 2.9.12a in order to make use of the new template options.

Has anyone been using the templates? If so, do you have some examples that you could share?

I'm hoping that they will enable me to get around some issues I've been having with MaxBytes.

I need to add a MaxBytes value to most of my targets, as they are frame relay links and if they burst above the CIR, I lose the MRTG data. I've written some scripts that take some input (router name, ip address, community, etc) and call cfgmaker. I then modified cfgmaker to add an AbsMax value equal to 12*MaxBytes on each target.
However, I don't think this is going to work for me anymore as we have just acquired a company that uses backup links with 9k CIRs on 1544k ports. While I could multiply MaxBytes by 172 to get the AbsMax, I don't want to end up with huge spikes in my graphs when there is erroneous data.

Any other ideas would be welcome.
Thanx.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager