[mrtg] Re: Newbe questions: monitoring # of users, limiting y-axis values

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed May 8 11:55:33 MEST 2002

If you are looking to graph the exact number of active
ports at any one time, MRTG is not the tool for you.
If you want to graph the relative activity (deltas) of
your Avaya 333x, MRTG is good.  To find the number of
active ports, you need to look for a MIB that the
Avaya has loaded and will respond to with the correct
information.

To limit the y-axis maximum value, edit the config
file after you generate one via cfgmaker.  Make the
MaxBytes value whatever you want.  You'll probably
have to "build" your cfg for # of users by hand
anyway, but you'll want to generate a config to get
an idea of what needs to be in the config as a
baseline, with additional information like LegendI,
LegendO, Legend1, 2, 3 & 4.

Paul

>>> Mustafa Cagatayli <mscag at ciu.edu.tr> 05/08/02 04:26 AM >>>

Hello,

Here are a few newbe problems ;
- How can I monitor the number of active ports, that is to say, users, on my Avaya 333x switch using MRTG ?
- How can I limit the maximum value of the y-axis on the graph, which is
used for monitoring the traffic on a switch ? I just want to see if the
traffic reaches to a minimum value.

Regards, and sorry if these a so simple and stupid.

Mustafa Cagatayli
CC