[mrtg] Cisco VLANS on RSM or MSFC rates

Jeffrey Velasquez jeffreyvelasquez at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 18:13:49 MEST 2002

Okay - We've all figured out that you can't get VLAN traffic rates out of an
RSM by using the interface number of the VLAN as it only reports the first
packet in a flow...

That being the case, can we use this to accurately and TRULLY report the
number of 'Sessions' per second?
Do the counters on 'IN' reflect the number of 'internal' to-the-vlan
sessions? [end  points inside]
Do the counters on 'OUT' reflect the number of 'external' to-the-vlan
sessions? [an endpoint outside]
Can anybody from Cisco comment?

If we can agree on what the VLAN ifIndex actually counts, and if we can
agree on how to label the graph, then we would have a pretty solid metric as
to how to rate my VLAN against yours, que no?

I think this thread has merit and has the potential to define a new way of
measuring our loads & traffic...

Jeffrey Velasquez
http://bender.jplt.com TEXT messaging