[mrtg] Missing spikes in aggregate target

Shipley, Rob rshipley at state.mt.us
Thu May 9 17:11:37 MEST 2002

We have a trunk on a switch that includes 4 interfaces/ports. When polling
them separately, you can see a spike in traffic every day @ 5 am. I'm
thinking this is correct data. The ifSpeed on each interface is 100 Mb.
However, when we add the interfaces in an aggregate target, the spike is not
there! Any suggestions, as we would like to have an aggregate target
instead. There are no NaN in the database because of the spike exceeding
MaxBytes. The aggregate target has an actual value @ 5 am, but very low. The
aggregate target and trunked target have exactly the same graph other than
this spike.
Here is the explanation:
Target: #4/1:public at switch2 + #4/2:public at switch2 + #4/3:public at switch2 +
#4/4:public at switch2
RESULT: No spikes

Target: #FEC-4/1-4:public at switch2
RESULT: Shows the spikes @ 5 am