[mrtg] Re: [Slightly OT] Any products similar to somix WebNM?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu May 16 15:37:51 MEST 2002

>>> "Gaurav Sabharwal" <gaurav at inwire.net> 05/16/02 10:22AM >>>
>
>Hi All,
>
>Are there any products similar to somix WebNM? We are looking to implement
>something similar for our Network Management and Monitoring. It's a shame
>that Somix does not sells WebNM outside the US. http://www.somix.com
>
>Also, if you were asked to develop something similar inhouse with the
>available linux freeware, what all softwares would you look at?
>
>Regards,
>- Gaurav

What are your design goals?  Do you want to address all five points that any good
network manager should be thinking about?

Fault
Configuration
Accounting
Performance
Security

Granted, not all NMs are responsible for them all, but invariably, you'll get brought
in to look at them in one capacity or another.  There are a number of products (free,
better than free, GPL, commercial but very good) that will run on linux.  You will find that either MRTG or RRDTool are at the "heart" of just about all of the
really good, innovative tools.  I suspect SmokePing will be in the same group
very soon.  I think the only reason it's not is because it's fairly new.  Check out RRDWorld while your at it.  That is a good place to get some ideas
from as well.

Search the archives, they have been posted many times.

Paul