[mrtg] Re: Rmon

R. Benjamin Kessler bk-lists at kesslerconsulting.com
Tue May 21 18:10:25 MEST 2002

I believe the 2500's (and AS5200's) are the only platform to support
"Full RMON."  Most (all?) switches support "mini-RMON."

Mini-RMON consists of:

Statistics
History
Alarm
Event

The "full" RMON adds all of the other stuff in RFC 1757 (e.g. Packet
Capture, top talkers, etc.)

Most routers support Event and Alarm only - with this you can trigger
thresholds and send traps if they're crossed.

Router RMON is probably not going to be of much use to the MRTG set;
switch (mini-)RMON could be of use depending on what you're trying to
do.

HTH,

Ben