[mrtg] Re: [rrd-users] Re: data Spikes?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 22 21:44:41 MEST 2002

Marc,
Sounds like you are hitting the same problem that I have for the last
several months. Seems as though somewhere along v2.9.17 and up through
v2.9.18pre8 (or so) mrtg would cause a spike in the graph whenever it
missed a poll response.

I did some rather extensive testing that proved without a doubt that
was the case although I could not determine the logic problem within
mrtg. At one point folks thought the issue might be related to counter
roll-overs, but that's not the case. The answer appears to be related
to which previous value mrtg uses to calculate a point when it misses
a poll. All other snmp applications that I know of handles the missed
poll as a retransmission (etc), but mrtg doesn't. It trys to calculate
the missing data point based on historic data instead.

Hopefully that has been corrected somewhere around v2.9.18pre10 but
I've not tested that as yet.
Rich