[mrtg] pid problem

Lawrence W. Smith lws at juiceco.com
Mon May 27 17:22:56 MEST 2002

I'm setting up mrtg-2.9.12a in daemon mode (always used the crontab called version before)
on an OpenBSD 3.0 system.

files:
/etc/mrtg.cfg
/var/run/mrtg.pid
/usr/local/bin/mrtg

however attempting to start mrtg with

#! /bin/sh
 /usr/local/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg --user=mrtg --group=mrtg --lock-file /var/run/mrtg.pid

results in

{166}$ ./mrtgstart
2002-05-27 16:14:13 -- ERROR: Creating templock /var/run/mrtg.pid_1179: Permission denied at ./mrtg line 1271.

I've tried numerous ways of giving access to mrtg the group and mrtg the user
 - all the way to 777 but no joy.

Searched the FAQ and archives to no avail.

so my questions:

1) I'd like the pid in /var/run but the mrtg seems to lack permissions to /var/run
regardless of how open I make /var/run!

2) Why insist on adding _xxxx to mrtg.pid other daemons remain clean and tidy using a single .pid
file named daemon.pid etc...?

3) What level of access the mrtg script expect to have to /var/run?

4) What workarounds does anyone have to this issue?

5) Have I missed something blindingly obvious?

Many Thanks for any answers or pointers...

Lawrence