[mrtg] pid problem
Lawrence W. Smith
lws at juiceco.com
Mon May 27 17:22:56 MEST 2002
I'm setting up mrtg-2.9.12a in daemon mode (always used the crontab called version before)
on an OpenBSD 3.0 system.
however attempting to start mrtg with
/usr/local/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg --user=mrtg --group=mrtg --lock-file /var/run/mrtg.pid
2002-05-27 16:14:13 -- ERROR: Creating templock /var/run/mrtg.pid_1179: Permission denied at ./mrtg line 1271.
I've tried numerous ways of giving access to mrtg the group and mrtg the user
- all the way to 777 but no joy.
Searched the FAQ and archives to no avail.
so my questions:
1) I'd like the pid in /var/run but the mrtg seems to lack permissions to /var/run
regardless of how open I make /var/run!
2) Why insist on adding _xxxx to mrtg.pid other daemons remain clean and tidy using a single .pid
file named daemon.pid etc...?
3) What level of access the mrtg script expect to have to /var/run?
4) What workarounds does anyone have to this issue?
5) Have I missed something blindingly obvious?
Many Thanks for any answers or pointers...
Unsubscribe mailto:mrtg-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=unsubscribe
FAQ http://faq.mrtg.org Homepage http://www.mrtg.org
More information about the mrtg