[mrtg] Re: MRTG suddenly stopped working

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sun Nov 10 14:51:17 MET 2002

Is this on a *nix machine?  Usually failures go to
root at localhost.  Check with either pine or mail.

If that is not the case, run the script by hand.  The
very first thing to do is what you've already done.
Verify that one OID will work with the manual setup.
Next is to run mrtg against the config to make sure
no errors get returned.  I'm guessing either the
log is messed up or time got changed somehow,
preventing things from getting recorded correctly.

Paul

>>> Dan Tappin <dan at wavefront.ca> 11/09/02 23:56 PM >>>

I had a MRTG config up and running monitoring CPU usage.  Here is my
MRTG v2.9.17 config file:

Target[cpu]:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.5.1&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.5.1:public at freya.wavef
ront.ca
RouterUptime[cpu]: public at freya.wavefront.ca
MaxBytes[cpu]: 100
Title[cpu]: freya.wavefront.ca CPU Load
PageTop[cpu]: <H1>Total CPU Load %</H1>
Unscaled[cpu]: ymwd
ShortLegend[cpu]: %
YLegend[cpu]: CPU Utilization
Legend1[cpu]: CPU in % (Load)
LegendI[cpu]: CPU Load*
Options[cpu]: growright,nopercent,nobanner,nolegend,noo
Colours[cpu]: RED#FF0000,RED#FF0000,RED#FF0000,RED#FF0000

I worked al day and now I am getting a flat line 0 plot.  The MRTG page
gets generated and the last update time shows that it's running.  I
have a disk usage config

Here is the corresponding snmpget result:

[freya:/var/log] tappind# snmpget freya.wavefront.ca public
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.5.1
enterprises.ucdavis.laTable.laEntry.laLoadInt.1 = 5

Is there any way to track this down?  is there a MRTG error log?

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Dan