[mrtg] Re: graphing the total of byte in bytes out for an interface

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Sat Nov 16 20:38:56 MET 2002

Rich, Mark said:

> Greetings,
>
> 	I've really enjoyed my mrtg experience so far- I'm fairly new at it.
> I've been reading through the FAQ's and lists to try to figure out how I
> can produce a graph that shows me the TOTAL use, both in and out summed
> up as one value. I've found some vague references to it being a matter of
> simply adding the reverse of an interface to a new target called total-
> I've tried a few different syntax, but can't seem to get it to work- can
> anyone offer any help?

http://www.geocities.com/josef_wendel/mrtg_total.html

see sample output:
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/summit.aphroland.org/summit.1.total.2002.html

works wonderfully. only downside is I can't get it to run by itself
from cron, for some reason it wants to run from a login shell so I have
my mrtg user ssh to itself to execute the script, otherwise the script
(on my debian systems) only outputs 0 byte files.

nate