[mrtg] Re: graphing the total of byte in bytes out for an interface

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Nov 16 23:34:10 MET 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:19:01AM -0500, Rich, Mark wrote:

> I've been reading through the FAQ's and lists to try to figure out how I can
> produce a graph that shows me the TOTAL use, both in and out summed up as
> one value. I've found some vague references to it being a matter of simply
> adding the reverse of an interface to a new target called total- I've tried
> a few different syntax, but can't seem to get it to work- can anyone offer
> any help?

[...]

> Target[xxx.xxx.207.252_25]: 25:read at xxx.xxx.207.252:

What is that colon at the end ?

Anyway:

MRTG normally graphs the IfIn and IfOut octets.  You can tell MRTG to
show them the other way around by putting a negative sign in front of
the target:

normal:
Target[xxx.xxx.207.252_25]: 25:read at xxx.xxx.207.252

reversed:
Target[xxx.xxx.207.252_25]: -25:read at xxx.xxx.207.252

Combined with the simple arithmetics that MRTG can do I guess the
following should work (didn't try it):

Target[xxx.xxx.207.252_25]: -25:read at xxx.xxx.207.252 + 25:read at xxx.xxx.207.252

This must be on one line and you must use the spaces around '+'.

Don't forget to adjust the MaxBytes setting.  Your total amount of
bandwidth seems to be doubled and thus you should double MaxBytes.

HTH
Alex