[mrtg] Re: MRTG Bandwidth Limits?

cvalin at telespectrum.com cvalin at telespectrum.com
Mon Nov 18 19:16:01 MET 2002

Jeff,

I ran MRTG on a similar setup at a previous place.
We had ATM over DS-3 and two OC3c (POS) circuits.

Graphing over 110Mb was never a problem.

I might suggest checking CPU activity, particularly if you have some heavy
ACLs on any of the interfaces... if you do, then you might try tuning the
ACL hit on the RSP by tuning it (generally speaking, by placing the heavier
hitting ACL lines at the top of the list).

You did not mention if you might be having buffer/memory problems... I
mention this because you say this happens when you are under a heavier
traffic load.

And BTW (FWIW), querying interfaces for traffic stats alone will not cause
the CPU to see high utilization but make sure you don't have
someone/something else also making queries of your router - this will cause
random performance problems and even times when you might appear to hang the
router (as when doing a snmpwalk).

Christian