[mrtg] Re: Monitoring In & Out Errors

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Thu Nov 21 11:39:44 MET 2002

Mike,

To start with your last question: You can keep everything in one cfg
file, but if you want to have more than one config file then that is OK
too. Just choose what is easiest for you to maintain.

About the question about monitoring errors on an interface: Have you
checked how many errors you get on any interface? If the number of
errors stays below 300 per 5 minutes then a default MRTG config will
graph 0 errors per second....

If you want to monitor low values then have a look at the 'perminute' or
'perhour' options

HTH,

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kopach [mailto:kopam at augustana.ab.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 11:27 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Monitoring In & Out Errors

Hello All!

This is a newbie question and yes I did look in the manual. I am trying
to monitor interface errors, both in and out. The ifRef is set to name
i.e. --ifRef=name. The device is a HP 5308xl router with some gigabit
ports on it. I tried the line of
Target[IP_name]: ifInErrors#A1&ifOutErrors#A1:community-name

and mrtg did not seem to complain about it. However, there was no output
from it. What I need is an example from somewhere or someone as to how
to monitor port errors. Maybe another question would be, does this need
to be under a separate cfg file for mrtg to run? I am using mftg 2.9.22
at the moment.

Thanks to one and all ... Mike

Michael A. Kopach
System Administrator