[mrtg] Re: Maximum number of nodes that can be monitored with MRT G

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu Nov 21 21:23:54 MET 2002

David,

It's better to talk about targets rather than nodes or devices. If you're
monitoring a switch, are you going to only monitor traffic on the uplink
port (1 target), or traffic on each port, as well as interface errors,
CPU/backplane utilization, temperature, etc. (potentially 100+ targets for
one node).

That said, I'm monitoring 200 nodes, with 6,000 active targets, updated
every five minutes. Mrtg is running on a Compaq server with a single 1.4Ghz
P3, 1GB ram, Windows 2000. Average CPU utilization as measured by mrtg is
12%; less than half of this is from mrtg (the server is also running Compaq
Insight Manager 7, HP Web JetAdmin, Big Brother, Compaq Version Control
Repository Manager, Compaq Active Update, and a few other services related
to systems management, including two different sql databases).

I figure I could scale this to 20,000 targets without breaking a sweat (and
might reach this later this year). Beyond that, I'd add another CPU and some
more memory. If I needed to go beyond 50,000 targets, I'd probably look at a
different/dedicated platform, or multiple monitoring servers with a single
web server front end.

In short, I think mrtg will handle your expected workload just fine. You may
need to use rrdtool on the backend, and Apache/mod_perl/14all (or similar)
on the front end, but these are easy.

Jerry