[mrtg] Re: Maximum number of nodes that can be monitored with MRTG

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Thu Nov 21 22:38:47 MET 2002

Hi Dave,

MRTG can scale quite well.  Using RRDtool in conjunction with MRTG or with
a seperate front-end (such as Cricket) can make it scale even further.

I've polled against over 2,000 targets (an example of a target would be an
interface on a router, there can be multiple targets per system) on a
Pentium III machine at 800 MHz, with just plain non-RRDtool MRTG.  Going
to RRDtool would allow it to scale even further.

My feeling is that MRTG runs more efficiently under a Unix or Unix-based
system, although I have no hard numbers to back that up; I could easily be
wrong.  Linux is a great platform to run MRTG on, as would most of the
other Unix-based systems (espeically those that are x86, since that
platform is inexpensive).

SCSI systems are probably a bit better suited for the task, especially
when deaing with a large number of targets, as they have the ability to
handle mutliple disk operations simultanteously better than IDE.  Though
with the speed of efficiency of the new IDE standards, this gap is far
less wide than it was perhaps 3 years ago.

RAID (IDE or SCSI) is even better when stripping accross multiple disks.

But if someone told you 200 systems was the max, they were either
exagerating or each system had 100 targets each, in which case he'd be
right.  But considering what MRTG costs, if you had more targets than a
single machine would handle, you could afford to run two MRTG collectors
:)

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net