[mrtg] Maximum number of nodes that can be monitored with MRTG

Bush, David A (IT) BushDA at corning.com
Thu Nov 21 20:38:01 MET 2002

Hey folks,
	Can anyone tell me what the maximum number of nodes is for MRTG? We're using Trend for reporting right now, and frankly since HP took it over and we upgraded to the latest version I've --HATED-- it. Everything that was good about Trend was removed, and on top of everything else it's now about 10 times slower than the previous version. As such - I'm trying to get MRTG in the door, and my boss is open to the idea.

	We're currently monitoring about 650 devices and I could see that roughly doubling in the future. Could MRTG realistically be used to monitor 1300 devices? What kind of hardware would we want for this? I'm assuming a *nix OS is preferred, which could also help me sneak Linux in the door.

	The reason I ask is that one of the guys in network management heard somewhere that MRTG will only scale to about 200 devices. I certainly hope that isn't the case because I like MRTG and would love it if we could switch to that.

Thanks everyone,
- Dave

Dave Bush
Network Analyst