[mrtg] Re: Error when starting MRTG

Lightfoot.Michael Lightfoot.Michael at comcare.gov.au
Thu Nov 28 02:04:09 MET 2002

I can help you with this as this is exactly what I am running.  I used
the Sunfreeware libpng package (SMClibpng) which was at version 1.2.0.
I compiled and installed gd 1.8.4 using (then) gcc 3.1 - now 3.2 (again
the Sunfreeware package which uses the Sun assembler and linker.)

What you need to do is ensure that you have compatible versions of
libpng and gd, and that in building rateup you reference these versions,
not anything else that may be lying around.  When rateup is run you must
ensure that MRTG is referenceing the libraries that were compiled with
rateup.

>From the output of ./configure --help:

(...)

  --with-gd=DIR           location of the gd lib/inc
  --with-gd-lib=DIR       location of the gd library
  --with-gd-inc=DIR       location of the gd include files
  --with-z=DIR            location of zlib lib/inc
  --with-z-lib=DIR        location of zlib library
  --with-z-inc=DIR        location of the zlib include files
  --with-png=DIR          location of png lib/inc
  --with-png-lib=DIR      location of png library
  --with-png-inc=DIR      location of the libpng include files

(...)

  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>

Using the above flags will ensure that your installed versions of gd,
libpng and zlib are all referenced correctly.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately.  Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.