[mrtg] False Alarms

bwoodcoc bwoodcoc at genuity.com
Wed Oct 2 17:46:59 MEST 2002

Hello,

We had an occurrence yesterday which, after post evaluation, indicates mrtg
did not handle threshold alarms as I would have hoped. I searched the
archives but did not find a reference to this issue so please forgive if I
missed it.

When a router becomes unavailable, the first poll thereafter I receive
utilization and/or congestion error alarms on all (or many) of it's
interfaces. In fact the values are more often then not unrealistic upon
close inspection of the speed. On the second poll they clear (unless
connectivity is flapping). Bug?? In our case we have a site with several
routers behind a firewall which became unavailable. The barrage of mrtg
alarms for a flapping site confused us to no end. In fact it led us astray,
a bit of a sin in my book so hopefully there is a fix/option of some sort.

Are there any options which could be set? UnKnAsZero was a thought. But
what would happen if we had a *real* utilization/congestion issue causing
intermittent connectivity? Would this option force an alarm clear when we
actually would want to see the condition?

I'm running 2.9.17 with rrd.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

cheers,
woody...