[mrtg] Re: False Alarms

bwoodcoc bwoodcoc at genuity.com
Thu Oct 3 17:05:44 MEST 2002

Greetings again,

I've done a bit more testing with this scenario. On a test router config I
set unknaszero option on all the targets which has 5 interfaces which we
collect traffic and error graphs. I used "route add rtrIP 127.0.0.1" on the
mrtg machine to simulate an outage. Unfortunately even with unknaszero set
I get a blip of invalid data. It is unusual in that the text states Current
IN/OUT values as zero. However the 14all graph shows a spike and also a
bogus threshold alarm was generated leading me to believe something
incorrect was input into the rrd and triggered the threshold handler. Next
poll returns to apparent normalcy.

So this bug is inconsistent as only 2 of 5 interfaces blipped. It is also
consistent whether using unknaszero or not. Any ideas whether this has been
fixed in a later release?

Hmm, maybe I'll keyword seach on "spike" as I seem to recall that topic
coming up.

cheers,
woody...
.