[mrtg] Re: Magenta & Green on MRTG Graph

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sun Oct 6 19:33:01 MEST 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Leandro Nicoletti wrote:

> I have created several cfg files to monitor specific
> NT performance counters such as disk,cpu,hdd etc.
>
> This works fine, but I'm a little puzzled as to what
> the Magenta & Green colours on the Monthly, Yearly
> Graphs are trying to show me.
>
> Is there a way to disable these ?
>
> Or can somebody explain what they are trying to
> respresent ?

Search for "WithPeak" in the configuration guide.  To discble, remove it
from your .cfg file.

Here's what it does:

By default, MRTG samples once every five minutes and graphs those samples
natively on the daily graph.  For the weekly graph it shows the half hour
averages.  This means theat each point on the weekly graph is an arithmetic
average of six pointson the daily graph.  The monthly graphs show the
average over each two-hour period, and the yearly graphs show the average
over a day.

Say that you have an event that results in ten times the normal value and
lasts ten minutes.  The daily graph will accurately record the value of
that event.  The weekly graph will average that value with twenty minutes
surrounding it, and plot the average.  The event will be "diluted" by
two hours of normal data on the monthly, and a day's worth on the yearly.

The dark green and magenta represent the peak value of *any* five minute
period within the averaged window.  By enabling them you can see not only
the averaged values, but also the peak measured value within a time period.

They don't show on the daily graph because they're meaningless there.  The
peak value is equal to the granularity of the sample, every five minutes.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323