[mrtg] Re: Rateup Warnings

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Oct 7 15:32:44 MEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 08:09:47AM -0500, Alan Rader wrote:

> time: 1740790413.Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/www/mrtg/mrtg-2.9.7/bin/rateup
> The backup log file for 10.0.2.16_se2_1.325 was invalid
> as well

> Under this one config file that is doing all my sub interfaces on Serial2/1
> I am getting huge log errors.  For the most part I can go into the .old
> file, find the time listed and delete the one that is showing corrupt and
> that is fixing things.  But on the one above for instance, I cannot find
> time: 1740790413 anywhere in the .old file.  How do I fix this?

Process in short:

open and read ".log" file		# last run's log file
do the stuff it needs to do		# process all data in log file
write ".tmp" file			# this run's log file w/ time 1740790413
move ".log" ".old"			# last run's log file
move ".tmp" ".log"			# this run's log file

The time stamp you're looking for is "now" whereas ".log" was written during
the previous run.  ".old" was writen the one before the previous run.

I think you need no further explanation why you cannot find the time stamp.

What happens if the log file cannot be opened or read:

  open and read ".log" file
  FAIL
  open and read ".old" file
  do the stuff
  write ".tmp" file
  ------> hopefully skip: move ".log" ".old" <------- (didn't check source)
  move ".tmp" ".log"

-or-

  open and read ".log" file
  FAIL
  open and read ".old" file
  FAIL
  ERR ....  was invalid as well

It seems as if the errors you're "fixing" are more common than you think.
If both files are corrupt, both the previous run and the one before have
experienced unnoticed errors (or: rateup has a bug, see "---> <---").

Try to find the cause of the problem and cure the problem, not the symptom.

cheers,
Alex