[mrtg] using rrdtool with cfgmaker - global, errors, discards

Donald Mahler dmahler at telcordia.com
Wed Oct 16 19:28:57 MEST 2002

As I try to continue to convert from mrtg to rrdtool, I am trying to avoid
creating new code wherever possible.   I had been using cfgmaker to poll
the routers and get my list of interfaces.   then I edit the resulting
*.cfg file to add in the rrdtool statements

     PathAdd: c:/usr/local/rrdtool/src/tool_release
     LibAdd: c:/usr/local/rrdtool/perl-shared/blib/lib
     LogFormat: rrdtool

my question:

1) can I get cfgmaker to put these in.  is that what -global is for?

Also, another cfgmaker question:

2) In the *.cfg file, I can see how to get mrtg  to poll for interface
traffic as well as discards ( ifInDiscards) and errors  ( ifInErrors) via
the target statement.
But....  can I get config maker to generate not only a poll for interface
traffic, but also discards ( ifInDiscards) and errors?    do I have to use
templates for this?    Many examples of the use of mrtg and rrdtool show
this, but I can't seem to see how to generate it (w/o writing my own
cfgmaker).

thanks for any help

Don Mahler
SAIC

ps I am using rrdtool and mrtg on windows 2000