[mrtg] Help on router interfaces

Marco De Vitis marco.dvv at libero.it
Thu Oct 17 23:11:32 MEST 2002

Hi,
I have to monitor traffic going through a RAD LA-140 router. I
correctly installed MRTG on a Win98 client, but the results obtained
do not convince me.
In particular, the strange thing is that CFGMAKER found two
interfaces, and the one which appears to be the ADSL line seems to be
completely silent!

I also checked with a program called Router IP Console, and you can
see a screenshot of what I found on
http://www.italianostra.org/ric.png . The ADSL interface is correctly
identified (2 Mbit/s), but it shows zero octets transferred for both
input and output.

Apart from the AAL1 and AAL5 interfaces, which meaning I completely
ignore (I've not been given a manual of the router :-(), you can see
the Ethernet interface, which connects to the switched LAN. And
indeed, it shows traffic, which should be the Internet traffic,
although it should be inverted: the output is what we are DOWNLOADING
from Internet, and the input is what we are SENDING over the Internet.
You can see the corresponding MRTG graphs on
http://www.italianostra.org/graph.png .

So, I'm a bit confused and not sure if I can trust these data. Why is
the ADSL interface so silent??

Thanks in advance.

Ciao,
  Marco.