[mrtg] Re: need your help...

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Oct 23 16:38:55 MEST 2002

From: ravi  kiran
>Please help me in the below requirements. please give me URL
>details if the below options exists...
>
>1) I want to install MRTG for nearly 300 devices which includes
>routers, severs, RAS, ethernet switches. The monitoring will be
>traffic utiliation, modem utilization, CPU utlization, port
>utilization...etc
>Please suggest me whether I can go for Linux or Windows 2000.\
>I am planning to go for the Intel machine..Please suggest me
>machine configuration also...like CPU, memory, harddisk..

doesn't sound too bad.  Any P4 box should be bored doing that.

>2) Does MRTG gives protocol utilization in WAN  link like
>SMTP,HTTP...etc

MRTG merely reports mib counters that are already there. If you define all
of those traffic classes with CAR on a Cisco Router, you can poll the CAR
mib with MRTG and make useful graphs.  But that is a lot of work for
imprecise results.  A better solution is to use netflow export and run
flow-tools to get those details.  flow-tools can be found at
http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools

>3)Is there any option in MRTG like threshold "if the traffic
>crosses cetrian level, it should be able to send mail" For
>example in a 64k WAN link if the traffic crosses 60k it should be able
>to send alert messages".

Yes, and I used it for years until I found Big Brother, which is much easier
to configure and has all of the paging stuff built in with very flexible
paging rules.  I collect the data with mrtg and let bb handle the exception
reporting and display.

Big Brother: http://www.bb4.com

Currently I am running big brother and mrtg on a P4 1.8Ghz with 512MB Ram
and a 40GB drive.  I'm monitoring about 40 devices (a few with 30-40
datapoints each) and I have lots of growth on the box.  I'm running
flow-tools on a dual P3 550 with 512MB of RAM and a couple of 9GB SCSI
drives.  It is capturing flow data from 5 6500's.  Captures consume about
1-2% CPU.  Reports run about 135% (It's a two processor box, so I get to run
up to 200%).  In both cases I'm using Linux (kernel 2.4.18)

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495
dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com