[mrtg] Re: Super SNMP novice. Trying hard to understand.

Garth K. Williams garth.williams at wtcs.org
Thu Oct 24 05:08:10 MEST 2002

OK, here goes ....

SNMP is the language that the management station and the device must
understand
COMMUNITY STRING is the main password to allow access to SNMP information
OIDs are the codes to request data or initiate action to or from a device
MIBS are the code keys that identify what each code (OID) means

So, the management station and the targetted device must talk SNMP
and, the management station and the targetted device must have the same
password (community name)
the management station sends an OID to the targetted device, either directly
or through the use of a MIB
and finally, the targetted device replies back to the management station
with the requested data or takes action

In order for you to get IIS information using SNMP, your Windows Server's
SNMP service must load a DLL (NOT a MIB) that "tells" SNMP which OIDs are
associated with IIS.  For NT/2000, these are HTTMIB.DLL (for the WWW
service) and FTPMIB.DLL (for the FTP service).  \WINNT\System32\http.mib is
the code key that contains the OIDs for the WWW service (httpmib.dll).
\WINNT\System32\ftp.mib is the code key that contains the OIDs for the FTP
service (ftpmib.dll).  See the connection?

A MIB browser such as Getif reads the MIBs and allows you to understand what
each OID actually means, and usually these MIB Browsers will allow you the
GET the data by simply selecting the target and the OID (usually in the form
of a more easily read textual description called a fully qualified Object
Definition) and pressing GET.

MRTG allows you to use with the MIB fully qualified OID or the number

I hope this helps a little bit.  SIMPLE Network Management Protocol is not
exactly simple.

A book such as the one you mention is a good idea

Garth (snmp4tpc.com)