[mrtg] Time stamps in log files

Dowling, Steve Steve.Dowling at tafensw.edu.au
Fri Oct 25 08:07:23 MEST 2002

MRTGurus,

I have been given the job of extracting the total number of bytes sent to a
site from the mrtg log files.  This is for billing reasons.

Now, mrtg logs in two-hour periods up to (about) 65 days ago, then converts
to logging in daily periods.  These daily periods seem to log at 10am
localtime.  This tends to imply a gmtime thats been improperly converted (in
my script) to localtime.

Are the timestamps in the logfiles recorded in localtime or gmtime?  Does
anybody know why my daily logfiles are stamped at 10am rather than at
midnight (which I would have expected)?

As a secondary point, I'll need to make this script usefule to any user.
Will I have to worry about daylight savings time?

Steve Dowling