[mrtg] Re: Time stamps in log files

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Oct 25 11:40:30 MEST 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 04:07:23PM +1000, Dowling, Steve wrote:

> Are the timestamps in the logfiles recorded in localtime or gmtime?  Does
> anybody know why my daily logfiles are stamped at 10am rather than at
> midnight (which I would have expected)?

Time is recorded in UTC.  At 00:00 UTC your local time will
be 10 hours ahead or behind.  I think it should be ahead in
your case so at 00:00 UTC it is 10:00 local time for you.

To make sure, visit http://times.clari.net.au/Australia.html

> As a secondary point, I'll need to make this script usefule to any user.
> Will I have to worry about daylight savings time?

Well, yes and no:

No, because UTC has no business with daylight saving time.

Yes, because one day will be 23 hours, another day will be
25 hours.  You may need to take that into consideration.

Some time zones have no daylight saving, some have only
half an hour.  If you define a day to be 00:00 upto 24:00,
everything should be fine.  Just don't define a day to be
00:00 to (00:00 +24h).

HTH
Alex