[mrtg] Re: Migration from NT to RH8

Matt Walkowiak matt at inetdvd.com
Wed Oct 30 16:06:31 MET 2002

actually, your config file should stay pretty much the same (with a few
obvious tweaks)

Off the top of my head, I think the only "tweaks" would be the path for
Workdir and Icondir (and any other paths set in your config) and possibly
your Target if it refers to an external program rather than an SNMP
location.  The program you may be running if a threshold is exceeded might
need to be looked at (as well as its path).  The reason all this is so easy
(in theory) is because the program MRTG is written in perl, not a compiled
executable, so as long as you have perl working, everything should be happy.
Rateup, however, is compiled, and two different versions exist for each
platform.

And the web/log files that you have been collecting from day one, they
should also work without a problem.  What i would do is just copy over the
.LOG and .OLD files and let MRTG create the .HTML and .PNG files the first
time it runs.  all in all, it should be a very easy transition...
If you want to be sure to not loose any data, keep the Win32 copy running as
you are setting up the RH version, and test the transition a couple of
times, running them both in parallel until you are sure the RH system is
stable, then just shut off the Win32 system.

Matt Walkowiak