[mrtg] stats reversed on catalyst switch

Justin Ryan justin at gnubian.org
Sun Sep 1 21:19:01 MEST 2002

Hello,

I'm using MRTG to grab usage information from a Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch.  The problem I'm having is that the logic involved in monitoring of the ports seems to be the opposite of what I'm looking for..

For instance, the incoming bytes for port 2 is counted as the bytes sent _from_ the machine connected to port 2 and _received_ by the port on the switch.  This makes my statistics a bit hard to read, as a large transfer from the machine connected to port 2 to the machine connected to port 3 shows a large amount of _incoming_ traffic on port 2, and a large amount of _outgoing_ traffic on port 3..

I'm somewhat new to MRTG, and simply generated a config with:

cfgmaker switch > /etc/mrtg.conf

(where switch is the hostname that refers to the switch's IP address).

I thought that perhaps someone on the list could offer some advice/help with tweaking up my configuration, or the SNMP config on the switch so that my stats are a bit more sane looking..

Failing this, I thought it might not be too difficult to add an option to MRTG to swap the incoming/outgoing traffic before it generates the log, graphs, and html pages.. I gave this a go but thought I might ask for a bit of help before hacking up the source too much :)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

-Justin