[mrtg] Re: graph spike problem - stumped.

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 4 18:18:07 MEST 2002

> This sort of sounds like spikes introduced by a counter RRD
> data type,
> although you mentioned that you don't have counter wrap problems, so
> this may not be the case. Nonetheless, it may be worth your time to
> experiment with changing the data type to DERIVE instead of
> counter to
> see if it helps at all. I've been considering a blanket change from
> COUNTER to DERIVE to avoid getting 'reboot-spikes' and
> discussed it on
> the list in the following post:
>
> http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg18908.html
>
> As always, back-up your data before doing something like this.

So, in this case you would end up with a hole whenever a counter wraps, correct? None of the other caluclated rates would be incorrect? I guess that would not be so bad. I may try that.

Another approach that may work better IMO would be to have the graphing script do the combinations (via rrdtool graph with lots of DEFs) instead of having rrd do them during data collection. It really seems like a couple of 'bad' responses in a sum of interfaces messes up the whole thing. In our case, we are monitoring all the individual interfaces already. Basically we are monitoring them 2 times and the 2nd time is not working so well.

I have no idea how slow an index of 4 or 5 48-interface aggregate graphs would be to generate and load. I'm not much of a web architect.

-Will