[mrtg] Re: Help Using MRTG to graph spam/virus messges

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Sep 10 17:56:50 MEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:06:51AM -0400, David Flanigan wrote:

> The MRTG output can be found here:
> http://www.flanigan.net/mrtg/spam.virus.html

> As you can see, my output is not close to what expected. I have verified that
> my script output it correctly incrementing in counter like fashion (grows by
> 10-20 spam, 1-2 virus messages per min). MRTG is otherwise working fine, and
> my router, sendmail stats, and linx server ethernet stats are all working
> great. I have included my mrtg.cfg at the end of this message.

First of all:  make sure you output the values to another file as well.
This is a great aid in debugging.  You can remove it after you're done
debugging if you like.

> SPAM Messages Count
> Virus Messages Count
> Date when last ran
> hostname of my server

Looks fine.

>  My mrtg.cfg section looks like this:
>
> ### Spam / Virus Messages ###
> Target[spam.virus]: `/usr/local/bin/spammrtg.pl`

OK

> Options[spam.virus]: perminute, absolute, growright
> ShortLegend[spam.virus]: msgs/s

Absolute means that mrtg will divide the number by time
lapsed.  This is OK but you may want to remove it during
the debugging phase

Also, since you're setting the labels yourself, you can
do the math in your script and remove it altogether.

It is my understanding that the "perminute" option effectively
makes MRTG report "per minute" in stead of "per second". This
means I think "msgs/s" is wrong.

> MaxBytes[spam.virus]: 25000

This means a virus count of more than 25000 is wrong.  I'm
not sure if this is 25000 per second or 25000 per minute.
As you are talking about 1-2 per minute, this shouldn't be
the problem right now but you may want to check this for
later.

Your problem may be non-existing anymore.  This is the top of your
.log file:

1031672702 21244 184
1031672702 21244 184 21244 184
1031672408 21240 184 21240 184
1031672400 21240 184 21240 184
1031672100 21098 182 21240 184
1031671800 0 0 1 0
1031671500 1 0 1 0
1031671200 0 0 1 0
1031670900 0 0 0 0

It seems to me the numbers are quite different from what you told :)
Please update us.

cheers,
Alex