[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Sep 15 12:13:57 MEST 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 08:32:13PM -0700, jo smith wrote:

> I've read the docs about MRTG.  I've got it compiled.
> I would like to use nagios output as a front-end to
> MRTG.   How can I configure MRTG to take nagios data
> as input?  I've never used MRTG before, so please be
> gentle. Thanks.

Right.  What is nagios ? (don't answer that)

As with *any* data source: just read the documentation and
follow the instructions.  Depending on the data available
and the way it is made available, you can define your target.

You need to read reference.{txt|html} and look at the target
section included therein.  If that doesn't help and you need
help on a specific item, just ask again.

Hint:

Q:Nagios delivers output in text format: "delivered 123 letters"
  How do I program MRTG to take this as input?

I would have answered:

A:Use the external program interface and call nagios from a
  wrapper that removes the text. For example:
  Target[nagios]: `/path/to/nagios parameters  |  cut -f2`

but even then I probably would have told you to RTFM.

HTH
Alex