[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

jo smith joblow7777 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 20:56:02 MEST 2002

Hi Alex.

Thanks for responding.  Let me break this down a
little bit further then.  In the docs, it says the
following:

The next step is now to configure mrtg for monitoring
an network device. This is done by creating an
mrtg.cfg file which defines what you want to monitor.
Luckily you don't have to dive straight in and start
writing your own configuration file all by yourself.
Together with mrtg you also got a copy of cfgmaker.
This is a script you can point at a router of your
choice; and it will create a mrtg configuration file
for you. You can find the script in the bin
subdirectory.

 cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/httpd/mrtg'  \
          --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
          --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg    \
           community at router.abc.xyz

What if I don't know the community?  This is for
servers, not routers, so how would this command read?
Thanks for the help and the patience.

--- Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net>