[mrtg] Monitoring true usage on a FDDI service

Ray Warrier Ray.Warrier at torex.com
Fri Sep 27 13:11:23 MEST 2002

Dear All,

I have a query about true FDDI usage.

We have an FDDI ring with FDDI concentrators. Off one of the
concentrators interface we have plugged a
connection to a Cisco 5500 switch FDDI card.
I have asked MRTG to monitor the interface in/out octets on the Cisco
FDDI card.
The stats being produced looked extremely low, approx 1%

To confirm the stats are correct I plugged a Sniffer with an FDDI card
into the concentrator and saw that
the true utilisation was around 30%.

How can I get MRTG to collect all data transmissions and not traffic
destined for the Cisco FDDI interface ?

Additional information:

We are unable to run SNMP on the concentrator's because it is a third
party managed service. They are unwilling
to switch on SNMP.

Many thanks,

Ray

Network Consultant - Torex Health

P.O. Box 16, Kingswood Road, Prestwich, Manchester. M25 3BP

Email : ray.warrier at torex.com <mailto:ray.warrier at torex.com>   Web :
http://www.torex.com <http://www.torex.com/>

Tel: +044 (0) 161 773 9211 (2236) Fax: +044 (0) 161 773 1211

Please note the information in this e-mail transmission may not be
legally revealed and is intended only for the use of the individual(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail or its information is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error please notify the sender by reply, and delete this
message from your e-mail system(s).