[mrtg] Re: MRTG on FreeBSD

Corey Smith csmith at bonddesk.com
Tue Apr 1 17:19:00 MEST 2003

I run MRTG as a normal user as it does not require special privileges to
run.

FreeBSD Mini-HOWTO!

# adduser -silent
Use option ``-verbose'' if you want to see more warnings and questions
or try to repair bugs.

Enter username [^[a-z0-9_][a-z0-9_-]*$]: mrtg
Enter full name []: MRTG Daemon
Enter shell bash csh date no sh tcsh [sh]:
Enter home directory (full path) [/home/mrtg]:
Uid [1003]:
Enter login class: default []:
Login group mrtg [mrtg]:
Login group is ``mrtg''. Invite mrtg into other groups: guest no
[no]:
Enter password []:
Enter password again []:

Name:     mrtg
Password: ****
Fullname: MRTG Daemon
Uid:      1003
Gid:      1003 (mrtg)
Class:
Groups:   mrtg
HOME:     /home/mrtg
Shell:    /bin/sh
OK? (y/n) [y]: y
Added user ``mrtg''
Add another user? (y/n) [y]: n

// To make it so this user can not log in interactively (IE. you have to
// su to the user to use it)

# vipw
// vi the password file
// edit the following line:
mrtg:BLAHBLAHBLAH:1003:1003::0:0:MRTG Daemon:/home/mrtg:/bin/sh
// so it looks like
mrtg:*:1003:1003::0:0:MRTG Daemon:/home/mrtg:/bin/sh

At this point I make a directory structure like:

/home/mrtg/configs # <-- this is where your configs go
/home/mrtg/data    # <-- this is where your rrds/logs go
/home/mrtg/htdocs  # <-- this is part of your web space

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Corey Smith