[mrtg] Re: Busy signals

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Apr 3 04:35:29 MEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Poulin, Darnell wrote:

> Does anyone know how to use MRTG to monitor if the user gets a busy signal
> when dialing in to a Cisco AS5350? We have had complaints of users getting
> busy signals and would like to monitor these using MRTG. Any help would be
> much appreciated. Thanks.

You can't directly monitor if a caller gets a busy signal, as that would
require that you monitor n+1 calls where you have n channels.

You can monitor if all of your channels are busy, which means a potential
busy signal if another call is attempted while this condition exists.

In other words, if you have 100 lines, you'll be able to monitor if all
100 of them are busy.  You won't know if a 101th call was attempted during
that time, or not.

In the old days of analog lines, you could get a terminal hunt group and
put the last line in hunt on the boss's desk.  "If this phone ever rings,
you need more modem lines.  The more often it rings, the more customers
you're pissing off."  Crude but effective.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323