[mrtg] Re: Cisco 7206 OID

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Apr 3 16:53:30 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 08:40, Mathew Chigwende wrote:
> Hi guys
> I earlier wrote requesting for assistance on how to monitor several IP
> addresses on one Cisco router interface.

Always a challenging problem...  The router doesn't separate the traffic
by default.

> The answer I got was use OID's.

More than likely, the answer was that MRTG can read any OID...

> Honesty I do not have an idea on even where to start.  Does anyone
> know where I can get some literature on configuring the OIDs, or if
> its simple show me how and on which files.

You can...
1.  Set up either CAR or cbqos with rules that classify the traffic, and
monitor the CISCO-CAR-MIB value that corresponds, or the cbqos mib (I
haven't tracked that one down).  Note that those mibs are not terribly
friendly in revealing their instance value.

I have done that in the past...

2.  Suck all of the traffic into a netflow collector like flow-tools and
run really granular reports that don't easily produce pretty pictures.

That's how I deal with this sort of thing now....

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy