[mrtg] mrtg vs snmpget script

Bill Smith bsmith at tridium.com
Thu Apr 24 16:04:17 MEST 2003

I've only been playing with rrdtool, snmp, and mrtg for about 2 weeks
and some of my questions may be ignorant.

My understanding is that if I change mrtg to use rrdtool, that the graph
generation (from rrdtool) has to be done by some other mechanism than
mrtg (script, cgi, etc). That being the case, what benefits does mrtg
have over a shell/perl script using snmpget to insert data into an rrd?
Using a script seems to be more flexible in that I can have more than 2
data sources. Mrtg is limited to 2 data sources, correct?

TIA,
Bill