[mrtg] Re: mrtg vs snmpget script

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Apr 24 17:28:38 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 09:04, Bill Smith wrote:
> I've only been playing with rrdtool, snmp, and mrtg for about 2 weeks
> and some of my questions may be ignorant.
>
> My understanding is that if I change mrtg to use rrdtool, that the graph
> generation (from rrdtool) has to be done by some other mechanism than
> mrtg (script, cgi, etc). That being the case, what benefits does mrtg
> have over a shell/perl script using snmpget to insert data into an rrd?
1.  You don't have to write the script, because Toby already did ;-)
2.  You don't have to research the OID instances for traffic, because
configmaker will already do that for you.
3.  You don't have to figure out the math to line up your data on exact
5 minute boundaries, since MRTG already does that interpolation.
4.  Other applications that might use your rrd data, such as big
brother, will be able to read your mrtg config and make sense out of it.

> Using a script seems to be more flexible in that I can have more than 2
> data sources. Mrtg is limited to 2 data sources, correct?

Yes, that is a limitation.  But there is nothing stopping you from
writing a front end that pulls RDA's from more than 1 rrd file, so you
could still use mrtg as a poller and display as many things as you would
like...
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy