[mrtg] Max value for MaxBytes

Norm Cook norm at nwc.ca
Mon Apr 28 17:28:00 MEST 2003

I've been using the windows implementation of mrtg (2.9.1) to get a cumulative count of bytes input/output on a cisco router.  Cisco says max is value for counter is 2^32 - 1.  If I put this value in MaxBytes and AbsMax, my graphs show nothing.  If I drop this value to 2^31 -1 I get data, but of course eventually the data surpasses this number.  I suspect an internal limit on MaxBytes, but can't find it doc'd anywhere.  I've ended up dividing the OID value by 1024 in the Target to get the number under the suspected limit.  Ultimately I'll be running on a linux platform and would like to what the upper limit for MaxBytes is and if it is different for windows v. linux platforms.
For reference.
OID = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.1 (ifOutOctets)
OID = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1 (ifInOctets)

Thanks,
Norm